Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Ok what happens next and what do I need to provide?
A; Firstly we will call at your property, offer a rental valuation and advise on anything specifically required before a tenancy can begin. I.e. Furniture that may fall short of fire regulations, etc.

There are some mandatory things we require from you or would be happy arrange for you they are;

Note: Non-mandatory things that we recommend you have are;
Q. So, what are the criteria used for any potential tenants?
A. I would point you to the Tenant Page here on the web site, reading through this you will get a fuller understanding of the verification, checks and requirements that all potential tenants, student tenants or a guarantor has to complete to achieve a tenancy through us. Also a specimen copy of the Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement can be found, this lists; Tenant obligations, Landlord obligations and much more.

In brief you can expect that they will have a full working history, relevant income and that they have been comprehensively referenced, using the tenant referencing/verification service with Endsleigh, an independent specialist in this area, and that they have passed.

You can expect that they would have been given, and signed a copy of the professional tenancy or the student tenancy application form, a copy of which is openly available to refer back to on this site.
Q. What type of Tenancy Agreement will we use ?
A. For the professional we will use an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement (A.S.T), for either 6 or twelve months (the choice is yours). For the student tenants we use a joint Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement (A.S.T). This agreement is usually for a 12 month period. The format for both these agreement is based on the ARLA agreement, a copy is available on the professional tenants page and on the student tenants page. It will be personalised specifically for you, your property and your tenants. We will sign it on your behalf as per our terms of business.
Q. What happens to the deposit ?
A. In short the deposit must be registered and protected in a government scheme, either by us or by the landlord.

Q. When is the deposit returned ?
A. Usually within 30 days, providing everything is in order, we do try for sooner. We must receive from the outgoing tenant or tenants their Bank account details to BACS the deposit direct to them and a forwarding address to close the account. This is usually the biggest hold up.
If the property has been left in the same condition (allowing for fair wear and tear) as it states in the inventory we can return the deposit as soon as 7 days. Written notification will be made if there are problems with the check out.
Q. What happens at the end of the tenancy ?
A. In short, it's up to the landlord.

The tenancy will have been drawn up for an assured period of time to which both parties are contracted provided both stay within its terms.

Three months before the tenancy ends the tenants will receive a Section 21 notice. This is a necessary formality, don't panic, although a formal notice it also serves as a reminder that the tenancy does have an end (to all) and some decisions will have to be made by Tenants and Landlord alike. Here are the choices;

  1. If the tenants want to stay and the landlord is happy for that to happen; a new contract will be drawn up with perhaps a few minor changes and life goes on as before.
  2. If the tenants want to move on; the property is then re-marketed, viewings will start during this period, new tenants will be found and a new tenancy will be drawn up.
  3. If the landlord wishes to take possession of the property or simply not renew with the current tenants they are within their rights to do so.
Q. But what about the property?
A. Which ever service you have purchased and upon vacation of the property by the tenants, a check out inspection is booked. The property is checked against the original inventory taken and agreed at the beginning of the tenancy by our independent inventory clerk. Now, allowing for fair wear and tear and everything being accounted for, all should be well. If there are problems; the tenant and landlord will be notified and dilapidations will be deducted as fit from the deposit returning the property to order. Contractors will be appointed to affect repairs before the new tenancy starts.

All of the above Q&A are only to be used as a quick guide. For more detail we refer you to; our terms of business, the Assured shorthold agreement or the tenancy application forms.